Monday 3 April 2017

The Curious Case of William Alexander Redwood by Mark Benjamin


The Curious Case of William Alexander Redwood by Mark Benjamin

Self published in America today, the 3rd April 2017.

Where to buy this book:
Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the ebook from Smashwords

How I got this book:
Received a review copy from the author

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

'Eighteen-year-old Billy wakes up to find himself imprisoned, bound and blindfolded, with no recollection of how he got there. When his captor knocks him out to silence his screams, Billy's memories pursue him into the cruel darkness. With his rise to consciousness, Billy comes to face what has haunted him from childhood, with devastating results.'

For a short story of less than thirty pages, The Curious Case Of William Alexander Redwood packs a hefty punch. We first meet a groggy Billy, securely bound and unable to remember either where he is or how he got there. As readers we are no wiser than Billy. As the story progressed, I liked how Mark Benjamin contrasts Billy's childhood innocence with his teenage predicament. I began to imagine what I thought might be the truth of the matter and was suitably chilled by the ultimate denouement. Benjamin builds a breathtakingly tense atmosphere and I found this was still the case on a second reading, even though I then of course knew where the story would take me. Good horror!


Search Lit Flits for more:
Books by Mark Benjamin / Short stories / Books from America

No comments:

Post a Comment