Monday 6 June 2016

The Generation Club by Annette Keen


The Generation Club by Annette Keen
Published in October 2012. Won the 2008 Yeovil Literary Prize for unpublished writing.

Where to buy this book:


How I got this book:
Purchased the ebook

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I knew of Eastbourne author Annette Keen because she used to run a monthly jazz night I enjoyed attending. However I didn't initially know that she was a writer. Apparently she began self-publishing stories aged only eight but was discouraged by the labour-intensive process of writing out pages by hand and stapling them together! Some years later, with the acquisition of a word processor, her talent came to the fore again.

Annette describes her debut novel, The Generation Club as 'Gran-lit' but I think this does the book a disservice as I am sure it has much wider appeal! The novel is a well-observed look at the lives of six people, all of whom are first-call carers for elderly relations. From the cover art, I was expecting a 'fluffier' read, but The Generation Club does go to dark places. It is a real page-turner that left me quite irritable when I needed to put it down to do other things. I felt included in the lives of the 'the girls' and, although I hope not to end up in the same situation, I enjoyed seeing into their world and missed them in the days immediately after I finished reading. I have no hesitation in recommending The Generation Club as a good cosy holiday read.


Search Lit Flits for more:
Books by Annette Keen / Women's fiction / Books from England

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read. I like the way your blog has such a wide range of books read...

    ReplyDelete